Friday, October 30, 2009

Make Your Own Pepper-Crusted Cashew Goat Cheese...no goat required!


I have been wanting to make my own vegan cheese for quite a while, but came up with plenty excuses not to do so. It's too hard. It won't taste any good. Who has the time? Well, it turns out I was wrong, wrong, wrong on all three accounts. Back in April of this year, my Vegetarian Times magazine really piqued my interest with their technique article titled, 'Say Cheese!'. Yet there my magazine sat and I never moved beyond interest into action. That is until a few days ago when I stumbled upon the article again and somehow found the motivation to try one of the listed recipes. Sure, I was still knee deep in home renovation, had a sick child, and a hubby just back in from out of town travel with lots of laundry...what better time for a little kitchen distraction, right?

It tastes surprisingly like the real thing without the goaty aftertaste (sorry, I don't know how else to describe the flavor and it's late here). The texture is very creamy...perfect for spreading. In fact, I need to go out and buy some crackers tomorrow and serve this along with some fresh fruit like grapes, pears and apples. Trust me, do not be shy to try the recipe if you are looking for a goat cheese substitute that is worthy of your effort (and the effort really is minimal), this is it!

Yours in the JOY of vegan eating,


Tami

1 comment:

gerda said...

Hi Tami,
You know I'd never paid any attention to goat cheese before..but whilst out shopping at our organic store today I happened to notice goat cheese in the deli case! And seriously -- your goat cheese looks very similiar to what was there! Good work on making such a great substitute.